Vi·gnette (vĭn-yĕt')

Friday, January 06, 2006

Bookmark Bacon

Recently I discovered accidentally a rare oeuvre in a voluntary organization’s kiosk in Dilli Haat. Let me be clear of what I am writing about,it is a collection of Essays written by Sir Francis Bacon. The title of the work is “ The Essays of Bacon”, with an introduction by Geoffrey Grigson. Oxford University published the book in 1937, under the theme ‘The World’s Classics’. Bacon’s ‘Essayes’ were first published in 1597 and revised in 1612 and 1625. Without further speculation I bought this book, a circa 1937 publication.

Goonj, the voluntary organization’s stand from where I bought this book assembles and resells books of all varieties in order to raise funds to support deprived people. In a way it is a small effort to buy what I need and in turn contribute for a noble cause.

Now I have in my study something that I feel is a rare and a treasured possession.

P.S: Visit www.goonj.org to know more about the organization and its efforts in reaching out to the poor and needy. Goonj is an effective channel for disposing off reusable items lying in urban, well-off households.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home